Sunday 24 July 2016

Day 25: Guest Blog

Hi folks! My name is Morgan and this evening I have been graced with the honor of guest writing for this epic blog series. 

I am an intern at elephants and bees, from Chicago, and arrived at the research camp about a week  prior to the Exeter team. I had just gotten myself settled and my work organized when this crazzzzy bunch loudly rolled in. 

I have to admit, I was a bit overwhelmed! I didn't know what to think of this tight-knit group using foreign words such as banter and knackered, constantly discussing the brexit crisis, second only to the red squirrel catastrophy of course, and demanding answers regarding America's impending doom with Trump's gaining popularity. 

Over the last month, however, I have come to know these incredible women, and their dashingly handsome leader Chris, and their stories. 

First, I am amazed by all the hard work and effort they made into getting themselves here, I know you already are, but  you all should continue to be so proud of them!! The last weeks have been a whirlwind of trying, and succeeding!!, in finishing a million and two projects at once. These ranged from truly destroying the kitchen making every bread product we could think of with Laura, constructing the most phenomenal fence Kileva Elementary School Permaculture Garden has ever known with Victoria, drawing epic energy cows ( in order to teach fantastic students about tophic levels) with Lauren,conquering  a hill I would definitely deam a mountain with Emma, evolving gopher like hole digging abilities with Chris, all while constantly laughing to Tanya's quiet, but absolutely phenomenal, witty comentary. 

Although we have been nothing but ridiculously busy, we have managed to have conversations ranging the scale of silly to very serious, and in the process I have come to cherish each one of them. I will be at the research station until the end of August, and I cannot tell you how much they will be missed. 

Besides having to light the truly terrifying monster stove all by myself!!!, I will miss their energy, laughs, and love. As our paths will sadly part on Wednesday, I am consoled in the fact that life-long friendships have been made. 

As these girls continue their studies in England and Canada (closer to my home turf!!), I know our paths either saving elephants, riding horseback through California, or opening a bakery (which I still insisit we'd name buttery buns:)) 

Thank you all reading this for the support you have given, and continue to give, this team. They truly are an incredible group. 

For now Exeter team, I'll just have to sing those Lions king songs six times as loud, in which case I should probably look up the actual Swahili words in order not to offend all in the 10 mile radius ;)

1 comment:

  1. I am very very proud of all of you, you have achieved so much, well done. Love Emmas mum xxx

    ReplyDelete